Wednesday, January 2, 2013

small tips & tricks.

So, simple things to help you with your weight loss journey. These small little things helped me out most with losing the weight in the very beginning, and have been really helpful in maintaining the weight loss.

1.) Don't snack in between meals - This used to be my complete downfall. I'd eat a regular breakfast, and then eat all kinds of snacks with my kids...in front of the TV. Then, i'd eat lunch with the kids, and then snack again before dinner. My diet was horrible already, and the snacking was definitely not helping. Instead, stick to smaller, better portioned meals more frequently. Whenever you're preparing anything, make sure you watch for the serving size. Do not overeat, but do not let yourself become hungry, because when you are hungry, you tend to make bad choices.

2.) drink plenty of water. - okay, i know, water is boring. I bought those flavored waters to have at least something with a taste to drink throughout the day. But do not drink these all day long. The sugars are bad for you because they are all artificial.

3.) Do not weigh yourself often. - the first few weeks of a journey are the most stressful, and the scale will become your worst enemy. Instead of a weekly weigh in, go for a biweekly weigh in. I would get very discouraged to see the scale not change much in a week. Doing it every two weeks was more fun because more weight was lost within two weeks, thus, making me more encouraged!

4.) Buy a pair of pants a size smaller on purpose. - hang them up where you can see them daily. this will become your motivation. when your current pants become loose, there is nothing greater than seeing your daily weight loss reminder from the closet, on your body. (this kept me going when i wanted to give up.)

5.) Journal. - or blog. weight loss seems so "easy" and so "fun" and "awesome". but its not. its a scary, dark place where you become very obsessed, frustrated, annoyed, angry, happy, sad, and everything in between. write these feelings down. because I know when I feel bad, I want to eat. So journaling the feelings is a WHOLE lot better than eating them.

6.) make friends with the same goals as you. - Online support groups, find a walking buddy, chat with people who want to lose weight as much as you do. They will be your biggest help on your crappiest days!

7.) REWARD YOURSELF! - make one day a week where you can have one "cheat" snack. My cheat day was Saturdays. I used to let myself have a chocolate pudding (low calorie) every saturday night after dinner. Do not go overboard with the cheats, but a little "normal snack" pick me up is whats going to get you through this.

8.) DO NOT GIVE UP! - you got this! you will get through this one pound at a time...one day at a time...one walk at a time. If you cheated once or twice, do not become discouraged. Stick it out! its going to be worth it, i promise!!

Happy weight loss! And good luck!!

-Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment